Vegan Recipes – Shichimi Mushroom Rice Bowl
Category : Vegan Recipes
One ingredient that you might not be familiar with in this vegan recipe is the Shichimi Togarrashi spice mixture that I used to season it, but I guarantee that you are going to love it! This spice mixture contains orange peel, red chile peppers, sesame seeds, and a number of other vegan friendly ingredients. It is a real treat for your taste buds, and I would highly recommend in investing in a small jar.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need to make this vegan recipe:
- 2 cups cooked brown rice*
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted vegan butter
- 2 cloves garlic, very thinly sliced
- Fine-grain sea salt
- 12 ounces / 340 g chanterelles or mushrooms of your choice, sliced ~1/4-inch thick
- 8 ounces / 225 g firm tofu, cut into tiny cubes
- 1 small bunch kale / 3 oz / 85 g, well chopped
- Shichimi Togarashi or red pepper flakes, to taste
If you need to cook your rice, go ahead and do so according to package instructions.
Heat your olive oil and vegan butter in a medium saucepan over high heat. Add the mushrooms in and cook them until they turn a golden brown in color and are soft to the touch. Add in the garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Set the mushrooms aside on a separate plate.
In the same pan, cook your tofu and throw in a few pinches of salt. Cook it until it has started to brown in color. A minute or two before the tofu is done cooking, add in the kale. Let the kale cook for 1-2 minutes. Season the mushrooms and the tofu generously with the Shichimi Togarashi seasoning to taste. For each portion served, add a large spoonful of brown rice, same with the tofu and kale, and top it off with the mushrooms. This recipe makes 3-4 servings.